Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Ayuntamiento Comparisons: Then and Now



I love Intramuros. In fact for the past month, the Walled City has been the site of my countless adventures (or misadventures, if you'd call it that). I practically walked its whole circumference, navigated around many an esquinita, and learned to treasure this gem that gave the Philippines the title, Pearl of the Orient. Its scenery, dilapidated walls, and Spanish Architecture take me back to the memory of what was once the greatest and most glorious hallmark of the Philippine Islands, as one can only imagine from reading books.


Of course, in the central plaza of the town, adjacent to the Manila Cathedral, you will find the Ayuntamiento, Intramuros' very own Marble Palace back in the day. Sadly though, what you WON'T see is the picture above. This magnificent building, among others, was felled and reduced to rubble in the American aerial bombardment of the city. The only tangible thing left for posterity is the Ayuntamiento's ground level facade. The inside of course, has been converted into a parking lot (or so I've heard). 

I mean, take a good long look at the second picture. Stark difference, no doubt. Is this the same reverent building that America's own President Theodore Roosevelt paid a visit to? Is this the same Ayuntamiento that countless distinguished individuals in our history might have passed through?

Hmmm. Is it too much to hope that the Government will do something about this in the near future?

I honestly don't know. I'm at a loss for answers.

On my part though, I'm appalled that nothing of note is being done. Look, how long has it been? Nearly 70 years? And still the Ayuntamiento stands in ruins. I mean I'm perfectly fine with leaving it at that if it happened to be as well maintained as the Ancient Coliseums in Rome. But no it isn't. Instead it has become the perfect metaphor for whatever image you can conjure in your head that involves bland facades and empty insides; an insult to its glorious memory.

No comments: